Petai beans are highly popular in Southeast Asia. It has a distinct smell and it is said to cure diseases. This Sambal belacan recipe is a hot favorite amongst those who love spices.
- 30 g baby anchovies, deep-fried
- 5 tbsp tamarind juice
- 3 pods of petai beans
- 20 g dried chilies, soaked
- 100 g prawns, shell removed
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g shallots
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 inch belacan
- 2 pieces tempeh, fried, sliced
- Combine the chilies, shallots, belacan and kaffir lime leaves and make a paste.
- In a pan heat the oil and fry the paste.
- Add the sugar, tamarind juice and salt to it.
- Stir for 3 minutes and throw in prawns, tempeh and cook for 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and let it cool a little bit.
- Combine with the deep-fried anchovies.
- Serve with rice.
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Ready in: 15 minutes
Course: Side Dish