Sambal Tumis Sotong, a very popular dish in Malaysia. People love it and the tourists who visit the country also can’t get enough of it.
- 800 g whole squid, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 10 (150 g) Asian red eschalots
- 8 dried red chilies, soaked
- 2 red bird’s-eye chilies, chopped
- 2 tsp chopped ginger
- 2 tsp shrimp paste (belachan)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp tamarind juice
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) vegetable olive oil
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp grated palm sugar
- 250 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- lime wedges to serve
- In a pan heat the oil and fry the shrimp paste for 4 minutes.
- Blend the lemongrass, ginger, bird’s-eye chilies, eschalots and garlic and make a smooth paste.
- Combine the sugar, tamarind juice and soy sauce together.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the chili paste.
- Pour in the tamarind mix and stir.
- Finally add the squid and stir for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Adjust the thickness and take off the heat.
- Serve hot with rice.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Ready in: 25 minutes
Course: Side Dish